"little joe from kokomo" and "african billiards"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Jul 15 01:35:31 UTC 2005

It's an old, in-group slang term used among interpreters and
translators - Monterey Marys; "Monterey [CA]" for the location of the
Army Language School and "Marys" because we were traditionally assumed
to be gay - in the now-defunct U.S. Army Security Agency. It's
ultimately based on "pulling one's leg," wherein "buns" is understood
to refer to the buttocks, these being located at the tops of the legs.
As for "pulling one's buns" as opposed to "... bun" parallel to "leg,"
who knows? It may have been influenced by the older A.S.A. tradition of
nicknaming a guy with a protruding arse "Buns" or "Bunsy."

OT, but, WRT to gays in the military, in those days, there were clearly
many, especially in the A.S.A. - there was one guy so far out of the
closet that he was known among the troops as "The Purse." And, after he
finished his term of enlistment, he was hired by the Army Security
Agency as a civilian consultant. He was well-liked among the troops
because he would take EM to eat in the Officer's Mess and to drink in
the Officers' Club, thereby pissing off the brass. (Probably this has
never occurred to any of you civilians, but, strictly speaking, any
civilian outranks the highest-ranking officer in the military.)

Anyway, before I write the great American novel, my point is that forty
years ago, being gay in the military wasn't the big thing that it is,
nowadays, not even in units, like the Army Security Agency, that
required top-secret/crypto clearance - in those days, the highest
level.

Another thing that struck me was the dearth of Jews in the A.S.A. I
wadn expectin' to fin' no whole lot of bruthuhs and I didn't. But, in a
brains-not-brawn unit of over 200 head of EM, you don't expect the
number of Jews, 5, to be barely twice the number of blacks, 2.

-Wilson