"timelord"

Fri Jul 15 20:28:44 UTC 2005

Jonathon Green <slang at ABECEDARY.NET> cites:

Adams may use it, but the locus classicus is the BBC-TV series Dr. Who
(mid-1960s et seq.) The 'Doctor' is himself a timelord, and the series
charts his adventures, usually alongside a pulchritudinous assistant,
and pitted primarily against the evil Daleks.
 <<<<<

Thank you, Jonathon. Reading down the Digest, I was prepared to correct the
allusion away from [as opposed to an allusion to] my illustrious cousin, who
is (was, will be)* a Timelord of Gallifrey, as I am not. You have saved me
the trouble.

Incidentally, Jonathon quite correctly refers to "the Doctor" rather than
"Dr. Who". The title of the series is "Dr. Who?"; the character is always
only referred to as "the Doctor".

*To express this properly would require the verb forms discussed at length
by Streetmentioner, and NOW we are truly in Adams territory!

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian,
   Orthoepist, and Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel
   [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]