bomb disposal terms

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 17 14:36:54 UTC 2005

OK, Wilson, were you betting a "fat man" as a kid ?  I have nothing before 1965.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: bomb disposal terms

On Jul 16, 2005, at 6:08 PM, James A. Landau wrote:

> [...]
> 1958, no
> ISBN
> This book gives numerous jargon terms from British bomb disposal work
> in
> World War II, unfortunately with few datable quotations.
>
> page 24 "a Bomb Disposla Directorate formed The office of
> directyor
> was taken over by the Inspector of Fortifications and Works at the War
> Office,
> the new combined appointment being known as I.F. and D. B.D. (or, more
> familiarly, Ifs and Buts). on teh very day---August 29
> 1940---that this
> essential administrative measure came into effect and [Major-General
> G. B. O.
> Taylor] took control, the storm burst over London."
>
> This strongly suggests that the abbreviation "BD" existed in August
> 1940.
>
>> p. 3
>>
>> Chewning (Not in OED. I can't find any other uses of this word
>> anywhere
>> else, but it is clear from context that it has some meaning within
>> the
>> bomb disposal community. It is a moderately common surname, though.)
>>
>> "I don't give a hoot if it is "just as good", Mulvaney -- you get
>> down
>> and work that Chewning right!!"
>
> Obviously some kind of tool or perhaps procedure for taking care of a
> certain type of unexploded bomb, and very likely named after somebody
> named
> Chewning who invented it. Hartley's book doesn't seem to include
> "Chewning" but
> lists other tools named after thier developers.
>
>> p. 4
>>
>> UXB (= Unexploded Bomb; OED has 1955)
>> "Danger UXB"
>>
>> p. 10
>>
>> Fire in the hole (Not in OED; means "an explosion is about to
>> happen")
>> "Fire in th' Hole!!"
>

> It should be noted that one way of disposing of a bomb (if it is
> acceptable
> to blow it up where it is lying) is to set fire to the TNT inside.
> TNT burns
> without exploding, and with luck as much as half the TNT can be gotten
> rid
> of before the heat of the fire causes the fuze to detonate the
> remaining TNT.
>
>> p. 18
>> Shaped Charge (OED has 1948)
>> "You needn't be quite so meticulous with those shaped charges,
>> Hubert."
>

> 1948 is dubious. The principle of the shaped charge ("Munro effect")
> was
> discovered by Munro in I think the 1880's. Shaped charges were used
> in the
> warheads of the US Army's bazooka during World War II----I don't know
> if the
> contemporary British PIAT and German Panzerfaust also used shaped

I've never heard of the British term before, but, as a former avid
reader of Popular Science, I can vouch for the claim that the
panzerfaust had a shaped charge. Given that it took a shaped charge to
pierce through the armor of WWII tanks, I'd bet a fat man that the
British arm also had a shaped charge. FWIW, PS was also my pre-1945
source for the term "blockbuster" as the name of a bomb.

>> p. 21
>> propeller head (OED has 1983. The term is not used, but a cartoon
>> of a
>> man with a propeller sticking out of his head, asking a doctor "Is my
>> case uncommon, doc?" is shown, implying that the term may go back to
>> 1945 and originate with bomb disposal technicians.)

I'm not particularly familiar with the term, "propeller head," but I
remember propeller beanies from when I was still in elementary school,
pre-1950.

-Wilson Gray