Nitty-gritty (1947, 1948)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Jul 22 16:18:49 UTC 2005

It's nice to be vindicated. Those with longer memories may recall that
one of my earliest postings on this listserv was the claim that I
remembered hearing the phrase, "get down to the real nitty-gritty"
ca.1944, when I was a grade-school kid in St. Louis. As I recall, this
claim was, at best, ignored, given the lack of documentation.

So, now, there is documentation that indicates that the term was in use
*_in print_ at least two years earlier* than I recall first hearing it
on the street. I understand and respect the need for documentation in
lexicography, especially when the topic is *historical*. Nevertheless,
I can't resist saying,

"See there?! I tolt y'all that!"

BTW, FWIW, in L.A. during the mid-'Fifties, it was possible to say,
"Don't get nitty-gritty," meaning, approximately, "Don't overstep the
bounds of good taste." In St. Louis, we used "Don''t get earthy" with
that meaning.

-Wilson Gray