saditty, hincty + dicty

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sat Jul 23 18:00:00 UTC 2005

FWIW, I grew up hearing "hincty" - the term favored by my mother,
b.1914 in Longview, TX - and "dicty" at home. I learned "siditty" on
the street in St. Louis during the '40's. As a consequence, until this
thread began, I'd never put "siditty" into the same class as the other
two. OTOH, sixty years is plenty (of) time for a minor shift in usage
to occur!

BTW, is anyone else familiar with the phrases, "get/have (one's) habits
on" and "get beside oneself" (sic; *not* to be confused with, e.g. the
sE "beside oneself with anxiety") said of, or even to, someone who's
acting above his station?

-Wilson Gray