"lovyer"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 23 19:14:41 UTC 2005

The form "lovyer" is of some interest because it used to appears in folk songs and ballads collected in both Britain and America.  OED lists it as an old variant of "lover," but a little there's no ex. given between Wycliff and 1768.

1701 William Burnaby _Ladies Visiting-day_ (London: Peter Buck) 17  If my Lovyer shou'd hear of it, he wou'd not have me, so he wou'd not.

Has anyone ever heard this pronunciation outside of traditional singing?

JL