"The Sky Is Falling"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Sat Jul 23 21:05:46 UTC 2005

        I'm sure Fred will want to take a look at The Remarkable Story
of Chicken Little, by John Greene Chandler (1840).  Apparently the
manuscript was sold earlier this year, see
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/auctions/ebay/934281.html.  The American
Antiquarian Society has the book in their reserve collection, see
http://catalog.mwa.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?Search_Arg=chicken+little&S
earch_Code=TALL&PID=11812&SEQ=20050723165827&CNT=10&HIST=1.  Dartmouth
College Library has some information about a 1979 reprint, see
http://ead.dartmouth.edu/html/ml90.html#N10A7E.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Benjamin Zimmer
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 4:41 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "The Sky Is Falling"

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:49:15 -0400, Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
wrote:

>Is anyone able to supply any information, from folkloristic or other
>sources, as to the antiquity of the story called "Chicken Little" or
>"Chicken-licken" or "Henny-Penny" and featuring the line "the sky is
>falling" or something similar to that?

Fred probably already has these sources, but they're a start...

"The Hen and Her Fellow Travelers" in: Chambers, Robert. _Popular Rhymes
of Scotland_ (1841).
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type2033.html

"Chicken-Licken" in: Halliwell-Phillips, James Orchard. _Popular Rhymes
and Nursery Tales_ (1849).

"Henny Penny" in: Jacobs, Joseph. _English Fairy Tales_ (1890).
http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/authors/jacobs/english/hennypenny.htm

--Ben Zimmer