get one's habits on/get beside oneself

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Jul 25 04:22:56 UTC 2005

Except for the line in song by Willie Mabon, I've never heard it used
except by other black Texans. It reminds me of the somewhat similar
situation with the hide-and-(go)-seek chant, "Last Night, Night
Before." It again seems to be the case that a particular expression is
known or used primarily by black Texans and black Tennesseans. As the
blues line goes,

"T" for "Texas" and "T" for "Tennessee"

I had no idea that The Blues Brothers had covered "I Don't Know." Their
versions of particular pieces of black music wouldn't be such a
travesty, if they showed any ability to understand BE. In their cover
of "Rubber Biscuit," they left out the words, "Woody Woody Pecker
Pecker."

Given that the song is 99.44% gibberish, I'd think that the name of a
well-known cartoon character would leap out, even to a white hearer.

The verse from "I Don't Know" actually reads:

The woman I love _she_ got _dimples_ in her _jaws_ (i.e. BE for
"cheeks")
_The_ clothes she's wearing _is_ made out of the best of cloths
(pronounced as "claws")
Etc.

OTOH, is there really any reason to require of The Blues Brothers a
better ear for BE than that exhibited by an African-American
dialectologist who, dealing with this same song by this same singer,
transcribed - in a scholarly paper, no less - the phrase, "all the
women you got," as "all the women you guide" and transcribed Muddy
Waters' phrase, "ax-handled pistol," as "ax and a pistol"?

In any case, thank you for the effort.

-Wilson Gray