Univ. of Chicago: No "Windy City" credit for your work! Ever!

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 26 18:30:58 UTC 2005

No one should be  humiliated like this for ten years, but here's the latest
in the "Windy City"  ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CHICAGO plagiarism of my work. No
explanation. No apology. Just  go away!
The President of Chicago should be fired for this:
The University of Chicago
Office of Legal Counsel
5801 Ellis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637
Russell J. Heron
Associate General Counsel
July 20, 2005
Dear Mr. Popik:
I am responding to your e-mail message of July 19, 2005, to Don Michael
Randel and me. My June 13, 2005 letter responded to your complaints (It did
not--ed.) and states the University of Chicago's position. Unfortunately,  you do
not seem to understand what plagiarism is, and what it is not.
We will have no further correspondence with you regarding this  matter.
Sincerely,
Russell J. Herron.
And that's that.
The June 13, 2005 response stated that I had found one 1885 citation,  but it
can't be copyrighted, so go screw yourself. I then wrote back that I had
found the second, 1886 citation that was used by the book, also without credit,
It was found through many hours of hard work and travel to the Library of
Congress. In addition to that, I had stated a unique scholarly conclusion that
"Windy City" had nothing to do with the 1893 World's Fair, that the
Encyclopedia  had known all of this at least a year before publication, and that I had
better  work that I was generously offering the Chicago Historical Society and
others  for free.
It's good to know that the esteemed University of Chicago is fully
supporting a two-bit plagiarist of the Chicago Reader's "Straight Dope." It's  nice to
know that I can't even give my newer work to Chicago for free.
Here's an idea for the Chicago Reader and the City Council and all Chicago
institutions. The annual Barry Popik "Windy City Piece of Shit" award. Whenever
 someone goes to great lengths to volunteer and help for Chicago over many
years,  give 'em a piece of shit!
You're all free to publish this.
.,..
Barry Popik