batiked (1902) (was Re: go electric/acoustic)

Thu Jul 28 17:57:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:25:07 -0400, I wrote:

>1927 _Athens Messenger_ (Ohio) 29 Apr. 4/3 Before Greenwich Village
>"went commercial" he had a little shop in the green V-shaped building
>that now blazes with the bright colors of batiked gowns just beyond
>Sheridan Square.

Hmm, OED doesn't have "batiked", ppl. a. 'ornamented with batik work'.

1902 _Brooklyn Eagle_ 5 Oct. 22 A decoration of batik, such as is here
illustrated, is particularly good in a room where the relief of a dash of
color is desired, and batiked cushion and table covers or mantel draperies
are equally artistic.

http://eagle.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=QkVHLzE5MDIvMTAvMDUjQXIwMjIyOA==&Mode=Gif&Locale=english-skin-custom
http://eagle.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/Repository/BEG/1902/10/05/002-BEG-1902-10-05-001-SINGLE.PDF#OLV0_Entity_0867
(Can't seem to open the page image to get the column number.)

--Ben Zimmer