ADS-L Digest - 24 Jul 2005 to 25 Jul 2005 (#2005-207) WARNING: WAY OFF-TOPIC

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 28 23:17:49 UTC 2005

Reminds me of the famous Bill Mauldin cartoon with the two army officers standing on a crag gazing at the sun setting behind the Alps.  One says, "Lovely view. Is there one for the enlisted men ? "

In _Catch-22_, Col. Cathcart asks the Chaplain in astonishment, "You mean the enlisted men pray to the same God we do ?...And he listens ? ? ? ?"

As for recent recruiting slogans, take "The Marines Are Looking for a Few Good Men" and "The Few. The Proud. The Marines," and cf. with the Army's "Be All You Can Be" and "An Army of One," undoubtedly the dumbest yet.

Will look up the Duncan feature.  His "police action" photos from 1950 - 51 set a new standard for combat photography, though Rosenthal's Iwo Jima flag-raising picture may be said to have ushered in the new age.  (A somewhat comparable photo, which manages to suggest the unpicturesque grubbiness of the whole enterprise in a way that Rosenthal's doesn't, is the Russian picture of their flag going up over the Reichstag.)

It became fashionable even before Vietnam to claim that Rosenthal's photo was some kind of fake but no, it was just a lucky shot.

When it was first printed in _Life_ magazine, a Marine general remarked, "This means there'll be a Marine Corps for the next thousand years."

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: ADS-L Digest - 24 Jul 2005 to 25 Jul 2005 (#2005-207)

Speaking of marine memoirists, did you see the op-ed article in the NYT
by famed former-marine combat photographer, David Douglas Duncan? It
features a portion of his famous photograph of the marine with the
thousand-yard stare. I first came across this phrase in some
space-combat science-fiction story of the '50's. It had been slightly
modified to read "thousand-parsec stare."

The article also recounts the story that this marine, when asked what
he wanted for Christmas, replied, "Just give me tomorrow."

And, speaking of slogans, there's really no comparison between their
"Semper Fidelis" and the Army's bland and nearly devoid of meaning
"This we will defend!" Even we GI's mocked this as "This We'll
Defend?", a phrase most often found as a graffito over the hole of a
field outhouse for enlisted men. (The bodily wastes of enlisted men are
not permitted to fraternize with the bodily wastes of commissioned
officers, nor may enlisted ass besmirch a toilet seat set aside for of
commissioned ass.)

-Wilson