greaser

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 29 01:58:26 UTC 2005

In a message dated 7/28/2005 12:01:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
LISTSERV at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU writes:

> The  Living Age, Volume 14, Issue 176, Sep. 25, 1847
> "The Battle of  Monterey", p. 619/2
>
> Perhaps I did feel a little weak in the  jints when I seed the officers
> unbuttonin their shirt collars, and the  men throwin away their canteens
> and
> haversacks, as they was  marchin rite strait up to them ar works, whar
> the
> greasers was  waitin for us, every devil with his gun pinted and his
> finger
>  on the trigger; I know'd they was

> gwine

Does this mean that  "gwine" was once a feature of at least one dialect
of European-American  English? Or was the speaker black?

This was discussed at some length in an ADS-L thread entitled "gwine"  which
began Wednesday 23 Feb 2005 at 01:42.  (Are the ADS-L archives  searchable by
date and thread?)

     - James A. Landau