Query: "on accident"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 30 20:18:12 UTC 2005

>I don't recall ever hearing this in my life, even from young children.

At least one of my children went through a brief "on accident" stage
(not to mention more prolonged and messier "accident" stages ;-)
I assume it's a blend, as noted--and I also recall an earlier thread
here knocking this about.  I wonder if there's a compendium somewhere
of "childhoodese", including (along with "on accident") e.g. "no
fair", and probably many other examples. I'm not talking child
language here as much as constructions (and maybe metathetic
pronunciations like "pasghetti") occurring in children's English that
are gradually unlearned by adolescence.  Pre-teen lingo?