"The lights out"

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 31 21:08:24 UTC 2005

Anyone have any ideas?
--Barry Popik (who has lots of free time)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jafinder
To: Bapopik
Sent: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 4:55:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Subject: A question from Henry Finder's brother

Barry -- I'm writing at the suggestion of my brother.  I'm trying to find the origin/derivation of the baseball cliche "lights out," as in:

"He pitched lights out in September for us last year, too," said Giants GM Brian Sabean. (ESPN).

But as Joe Sheehan noted Monday, the Indians bullpen has pitched lights-out. (baseballprospectus.com)

Obviously it means "really well," but where from?  And is it hyphenated, properly?  I've asked Roger Angell and Nicky Dawidoff, and neither knows.
many thanks,
Joe Finder

www.josephfinder.com