Deep Throat (1974)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 1 05:10:45 UTC 2005

DEEP THROAT
"Deep Throat" was revealed yesterday. It had long been suspected that this
was the guy. OED needs to update its "deep throat."
(OED)
_deep  throat_, a person working within an  organization who supplies
anonymously information concerning misconduct by other  members of the organization;
orig. applied (with capital initials) to the  principal informant in the
_WATERGATE_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=fulltext&queryword=deep+throat&first=1&
max_to_show=10&search_spec=fulltext&sort_type=alpha&search_id=g3LX-JNzorl-990&control_no=50059209&result_place=3&xrefword=Watergate)
scandal [after a pornographic film (1972) so titled];

[1973 National Rev. (U.S.) 22 June 697/2 So you want to write a
best-seller... Well, for starters, how  about the hijacking bit?.. Characters? Mafia and
Deep Throat types are winners this season.] 1974 Time 22 Apr. 55/1 Foremost
among  their key sources was a man whom the authors still tantalizingly refuse to
name.  They called him ‘*Deep  Throat’, and report only that he was a
pre-Watergate friend of Woodward's, with ‘extremely sensitive’ antennae. 1974
_BERNSTEIN_ (http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-b2.html#bernstein)  &
_WOODWARD_ (http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-w3.html#woodward)  in Playboy May
218/2 In newspaper terminology, this meant the discussions were on  ‘deep
background’. Woodward explained the arrangements to managing editor Howard  Simons
one day. He had taken to calling the source ‘my friend’, but Simons  dubbed
him ‘Deep  Throat’. The name stuck. 1982 Times 3 Nov. 1 A fresh threat of
industrial action emerged last night after the publication of documents leaked
by a ‘deep throat’ in the National Coal Board.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("deep throat" +  "Watergate")
     1. _Death  Sentence for the Movies?; Movies " One imagines the American
public  choking on the hundredth consecutive re-release of 'Gone With the
Wind.'"  _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=90455928&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1117601616&clientId=65882)
By ALLEN McKEE. New  York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 22,
1973. p. 95  (1 page)
2. _Of  Verse, Shadows And Votes_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=119763046&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=11
17601616&clientId=65882)
The Washington Post  (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Feb 2, 1974. p.
B2 (1 page)
3. _Sloan  named as Watergate tipster_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=606355082&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&
TS=1117601616&clientId=65882)
Chicago Tribune  (1963-Current file). Chicago, Ill.: Apr 8, 1974. p. 3 (1
page)
4. _Hugh  Sloan Called Major Source for News Articles on Watergate_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=3&did=79621717&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&
VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1117601616&clientId=65882)
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr  8, 1974. p. 25 (1
page)
5. _Float  with Joyce thru Watergate_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=4&did=606430042&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&T
S=1117601616&clientId=65882)
William Safire.  Chicago Tribune (1963-Current file). Chicago,  Ill.: Apr 24,
1974. p. 24 (1 page)
OT: JUNE 1ST
I've been trying to tell Mayor Bloomberg and the  Republican Party just
what's at stake here today.  It's the entire future  of New York City.
Either I run for Manhattan Borough President, and they  help me, and they
finally honor the African American who called New York City  "the Big Apple," and
they finally Audrey Munson (our "Civic Fame" model), and I  run on "Free
wifi! Free toilets! Free speech!" (my councilwoman wants to get rid  of all the
newspaper boxes for the Village Voice and New York Press), and we get  a West
Side stadium, the Olympics, and the Super Bowl, or..
...I do parking tickets in the room with no air, and  book a cooking tour of
Sicily.
(My sister favors  Sicily.)