freak rock (1966, 1968)

Wed Jun 1 20:04:44 UTC 2005

* freak rock (not in OED)

"Big Brother & the Holding Company" by Greg Shaw
_Mojo Navigator_, Sep. 1966 (rocksbackpages.com)
[Peter Albin:] If the record makes it, then the people’ll start digging
what we’re doing, and then we’ll lay it on them thick, with some freak
rock things. I dunno, it’s always good to drop new things on people.

"Psychedelic Music Still Keeps The Jefferson Airplane Flying" by Mike Jahn
_New York Times_, Dec. 2, 1968, p. 62/1
In a time when nearly everyone who can lift a guitar seems to be looking
to Chicago and the blues, or to Nashville and country music, Jefferson
Airplane still plays hard-line San Francisco freak rock.

--Ben Zimmer