Deep Throat (1974)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Jun 2 03:02:46 UTC 2005

Quoting FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>:

> It just seems so odd to be 'named' after (I don't know how he got tagged with
> 'deep throat'--who tagged him with it?) something so tasteless.
> Fritz
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 02:55:40PM -0700, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:
> > Which was named first--the movie or the watergate guy?
>
> The Watergate guy was named after the movie.
>
> JTS

He was named by one of the Post's editors (not Ben Bradlee, but a lesser editor
who didn't know his identity). The name is a play on "deep background," a
newspaper term meaning a source who isn't quoted or even referred to
anonymously, and the movie, which was popular at the time.

--
Dave Wilton
dave at wilton.net
http://www.wilton.net/dave.htm