The best English dictionary

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Jun 3 19:16:48 UTC 2005

> Just because "dictionary" appears in the title doesn't mean that it has
> been made with any understanding of "good" lexicography.  Good
> dictionaries are quite complicated, perhaps in part because language is a
> complex system.
>
> Regards,
> David

We all agree that good (or "good") dictionaries are complex. But I wouldn't
dismiss OneLook quite so cavalierly. A search engine that allows you to
search scores of good dictionaries, and a couple of excellent dictionaries,
at a keystroke or two is a very useful tool. And OneLook is the best such
search engine I've seen.

Paul
Paul Frank
English translation
from Chinese: humanities and the social sciences
from German, French, and Spanish: sinology
www.languagejottings.blogspot.com
e-mail: paulfrank at post.harvard.edu