"Apple Computer of"

Rachel Elaine Shuttlesworth rshuttle at BAMA.UA.EDU
Sun Jun 5 18:23:50 UTC 2005

Here are some other uses of "The Apple Computer of X" with meanings
ranging to a user-friendly interface to having a small but enthusiastic
following and applying to TiVo, the Greens, and a horse training
program to Saab to Ram Dass!  The earliest example I found comes from
1997 in reference to  Hawaii.

All from Google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22the+apple+computer+of%22+-century&btnG=Search

TiVo's Apple problem | PVRblog
As the competitors circle the market like vultures, I wonder if TiVo
will resign itself as the Apple Computer of DVRs, where its snooty
users will put ...
www.pvrblog.com/pvr/2003/08/tivos_apple_pro.html - 36k - Jun 4, 2005

The Green Party: Apple Computer of Politics? (8 Ways to Sunday)
Meanwhile, they’re kind of like the Apple Computer of political parties
— full of great new ideas that get co-opted by the mainstream, but with
a minority ...
www.adammessinger.com/2004/03/
02/the-green-party-apple-computer-of-politics

Dwell Magazine - Table of Contents
So is modern prefab on its way to becoming the Apple computer of the
American
housing industry? Home Cooking 101 How did such a simple act become so
complex ...
www.dwellmag.com/magazine/1382257.html

Creating Passionate Users: More on the art of giving instructions...
And talk about passionate users... the place we live has a Parelli user
group with over 1,000 members! (And if you get one started on a
conversation about it, you won't be able to stop them. It really is the
Apple Computer of the horse world.)
headrush.typepad.com/creating_
passionate_users/2004/12/more_on_the_art.html

Is Hawaii going to be the Apple Computer of tourism? - 1997-11-17
American City Business Journals Inc. is the nation's largest publisher
of
metropolitan business newspapers, serving 41 of the country's most
vibrant ...
www.bizjournals.com/pacific/ stories/1997/11/17/editorial1.html

Flexo users hoping for more vendors, competition
... set-off or show-through, a simpler and more environmentally
friendly printing process — flexo has become the Apple Computer of the
printing industry. ...
www.newsandtech.com/issues/ 2002/11-02/nt/11-02_flexo.htm

Wednesday, March 8, 2000
Maybe CubeSat is the "Apple Computer" of the next space generation
experimenters. For details on OPAL, see the website:
ssdl.stanford.edu/opal.
nova.stanford.edu/seminars/win00/00.03.8.html

seattlepi.com Buzzworthy: TiVo: The new Apple?
Is TiVo the Apple Computer of the 2002 -- that is, the pioneer doomed
to lose its grip on a market it was instrumental in creating?
blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/buzz/archives/003159.html

MercuryNews.com | 11/05/2003 | Despite milestone, TiVo faces ...
It risks becoming the Apple Computer of the DVR market, said Gene
Walton, an analyst with Walton Holdings in New York. ``It will have a
limited reach,'' ...
www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/
business/columnists/gmsv/2741/7189492.htm

content management tool for clients?
fwiw, i hear good things about mambo. sounds like it's the Apple
computer of CMS in terms of implementation/use. No technical skills
required. ...
www.webmasterworld.com/forum46/745.htm

Bethany K. Dumas wrote:

-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "Bethany K. Dumas" <dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU>
>Subject:      cupping/"Apple Computer of"
-------

>Am I  the last person to have heard?
>
>---
>EMERYVILLE, Calif. - Doug Welsh picked up the first of 12 glasses of
>coffee. He noisily slurped a spoonful, savored it briefly, then
>immediately spit it out.
>
>Sales of beans make up 45 percent of the retail revenue at Peet's Coffee
>and Tea, which is based in a brick warehouse in Emeryville, Calif., just
>south of Berkeley. Mike Madden prepares to load beans into a roaster.
>Mr. Welsh, the vice president for coffee at Peet's Coffee and Tea, a
>regional coffee retailer with its home here in the San Francisco Bay
Area,
>was "cupping" - testing samples of beans recently shipped from the
Nairobi