OT: In defense of Bill Safire

Katy Miller kmiller at BIB-ARCH.ORG
Mon Jun 6 14:29:25 UTC 2005

I'm pretty sure Bill isn't on this list serv, and therefore, he had no
way of knowing about the discussion. Sure, he SHOULD be on the list. But
there are many technical things a lot of 75 year olds don't get the hang
of.

In addition, he donated his language library to the Times, so he doesn't
have his books. Both Elizabeth and I are gone and I don't think the
Time's is paying for a research assistant for one column a week for a
"contributor" who doesn't work there anymore. So there was no one to
give him the heads up either.

He's on his own. Give him a break.

---