Shuysters and Skinners (1845)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 6 20:59:14 UTC 2005

I think the Civil War "shuyster" is a general term meaning "sneak, villain, or rascal."

James T. Farrell  was so using it in the '30s.

JL

"Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard"
Subject: Re: Shuysters and Skinners (1845)

The meaning of "shuyster" in the Civil War letter below does not fit any of the usual meanings of "shyster." The soldier is using the term in the meaning "shirker," and so he must have associated "shyster" with "shy" in the expression "fight shy of" (avoid). In fact, "fight shy of" is one of the various incorrect etymologies given for the term "shyster"; the lawyer takes his client's money and then fights shy of him.

Gerald Cohen

Original message from Benjamin Zimmer, June, 6, 2005: