"scuzzcrack"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 7 12:53:01 UTC 2005

The more slangophilous amongst ye may remember that I selected this evident neologism from the TV series "Joan of Arcadia" last fall for attention as a test case for the spread of slang.  Millions of people were exposed to it, presumably for the first time, in one episode of the series.

I now see the first indication, however slight, of the term's entrance into "the language.". On February 11, a fan messaged the "Joan of Arcadia" website http://joanofarcadia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2589 to observe,

"That is why Roger is a scuzzcrack."

To which someone responded (http://joanofarcadia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2706)

"Yeah, Roger did not want to take no for ananswer. Too bad the scuzzcrack was associated with all that cool poetry."

These are the first online occurrences of the word except for its appearance in a transcription of the original script.

Despite frequent dire temptation, I have carefully avoided using the word myself, so as not to inadvertently encourage its spread.  List members are urged to exercise similar restraint.

More updates as they become available.

JL