FW: Antedatings for BBC List

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Jun 10 21:38:26 UTC 2005

        In more formal contexts, especially in writing, I'd say that the major euphemism for condom historically has been "prophylactic," but it has largely passed out of use in recent years.

        I'm under the impression that other terms have not really caught on.  In the song Little Red Corvette, Prince refers to "horses - Trojans, some of them used."  Some people do use Trojans as a generic term for condoms, but I've never heard anyone else refer to them as horses.  Sometimes they are called gloves, but that seems to be mainly so people can say "no glove no love."  Even "rubbers," the once ubiquitous term, seems to be less prevalent now as people just calmly say "condoms."

        Did barbers really offer "something for the weekend," or was it just a cultural cliché that they did so?

John Baker