Antedatings for BBC List

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sat Jun 11 03:14:23 UTC 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 5:38 PM, Baker, John wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject:      Re: FW:      Antedatings for BBC List
> --------
>
>         In more formal contexts, especially in writing, I'd say that
> the major euphemism for condom historically has been "prophylactic,"
> but it has largely passed out of use in recent years.

In the days before The Pill, "prophylactic" was at least as common as
"rubber" among black males. I also occasionally heard "safe" used with
the meaning "condom." "Trojan" and "Ramses" were the most popular -
well, the most-often mentioned in locker-room stories, at least -
brands, but neither name was generalized.

-Wilson Gray