Antedatings for BBC List

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Jun 11 03:57:08 UTC 2005

>>         In more formal contexts, especially in writing, I'd say that
>>the major euphemism for condom historically has been "prophylactic,"
>>but it has largely passed out of use in recent years.
>
>In the days before The Pill, "prophylactic" was at least as common as
>"rubber" among black males. I also occasionally heard "safe" used with
>the meaning "condom." "Trojan" and "Ramses" were the most popular -
>well, the most-often mentioned in locker-room stories, at least -
>brands, but neither name was generalized.

Where I grew up (Detroit), there were several popular brands including the
above and IIRC "Spartan". I'm a young bloke, so I can remember only back to
1960 or maybe a hair earlier. In my experience only "Trojan" was
genericized (like "Kleenex" for "facial tissue"). "Prophylactic" and
"rubber" were common; "condom" was recognizable but not usual; I heard
"safe" maybe once or twice. I did not hear "raincoat" or "balloon" or other
jocular terms then.

And then there was the eggcorn "cum-drum", which I only heard once or twice
from older fellows reminiscing about WW II days.

-- Doug Wilson