Etymology of "Ska"

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sun Jun 12 13:17:35 UTC 2005

I also have this /l/ in my mind's ear. As I reproduce it in my own
mouth, it seems 1) to have a backer tongue-tip contact than is usual
(perhaps even slightly retroflexed, touching behind rather than on
the alveolar ridge) and 2) to have a geminate or "long" /l/ in the
second /l/ of the word.

I am surer about the second than the first, since a variety of
articulatory positions might achieve the same acoustic effect.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu