"pencil whip"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 13 21:09:09 UTC 2005

The broad sense is "to victimize (a person) in any way, by means of a written document or notation  of any kind."  The original sense seems to have been, as Bill observes, "to falsify (a record or report)."

JL

"Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mullins, Bill"
Subject: Re: "pencil whip"

Thanks. I found a quote in a different sports article in which I
couldn't understand it; but it was this sense, and it makes sense now.

I also found it used in an article about buying a car, in which a
salesman might "pencil whip" you by adding on various fees, etc.

But I think the primary meaning is the one I quoted -- to falsify
records. At least, most of the cites I found (of which I only listed
the three) wer of this sense.