Rigatoni (1894)

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Jun 14 14:04:21 UTC 2005

Italian i-plurals (perhaps particularly those which (ooops! that)
refer to foodstuffs) are regularly pluralized in English. When they
can be taken as noncount (e.g., spaghetti), however, they are not,
although, most peculiarly, in Italian-heritage families, these
reanalyzed noncounts are often English pluralized - spaghettis,
macaronis, etc...., not referring to kinds but in such constructions
as "We're having spaghettis tonight." Am Italian-American once
explained this to me as a result of "Well, they're plural, you know."

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu