aw-right

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 14 17:54:18 UTC 2005

At 9:53 AM -0700 6/14/05, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>I've often wondered why the AHD (even the fourth edition) doesn' t recognize
>barbeque. I don't pay too close attention, but I don't think "barbecue" is
>very current, at least in Seattle.
>
>Benjamin Barrett
>Baking the World a Better Place
>www.hiroki.us

I wonder about the relative chronology of the "barbeque" spelling and
the "BBQ" initialism.  (And on a related issue, I wouldn't think
avoidance of homonymy had much to do with the fact that "BBC" is
never used to denote slow-grilled ribs and pulled pork, given how the
referents hang out in such different crowds.)

Larry