More on "punk"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Jun 14 22:00:24 UTC 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 3:57 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: More on "punk"
> --------
>
> At 12:17 PM -0700 6/14/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>> "Punk" is another one of those homosexual words that originally
>> referred to women.
>>
>> JL
>
> specifically = 'harlot' (so Farmer & Henley), e.g in Measure for
> Measure (v.i):
>
> She may be a punk, for many of them are neither maid, widow, nor wife.
>
> Similarly Johnson, Chapman, Congreve, etc.
>
> Larry

"Punk" is used as a word for "prostitute" in the book, "My Secret
Life," by "Walter." In an earlier discussion of "punk," I have a vague
memory of someone suggesting or stating that "My Secret Life" is, in
some sense, not real. FWIW, Harvard owns one partial and one complete
copy of the original, actual, published-in-The-Netherlands version of
this work. Of course, the comment may have been that MSL is fiction and
not autobiography. That is certainly a possibility and I have no
opinion on that.

BTW, in Britspeak, does "spunk" still mean "semen"?

-Wilson Gray