"Dr. Midnight" cookies

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Jun 15 04:12:51 UTC 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 11:46 PM, bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      "Dr. Midnight" cookies
> --------
>
> DR. MIDNIGHT + CHOCOLATE--305 Google hits, 3 Google Groups hits
> I went to Taylor's on Chambers Street and had some of its strawberry
> iced tea, supposedly one of the city's best thirst quenchers for a hot
> day, not that anyone would know it's a hot day...
> Taylor's is also a bakery and it had Monkey Bread and Dr. Midnight
> cookies. Does anybody know the good doctor? Is he from California?
> Great chocolate cookie, even before midnight.

There used to be a superhero by that name in the 'Forties. He was a
blind doctor - MD? PhD? I no longer remember - who, under circumstances
that I no longer recall, became Dr. Midnight, whose motto, emblazoned
on a shield on the front of his costume, was "TURN ABOUT IS FAIR PLAY."
He appeared in Superman-DC Publications funnybooks.

-Wilson Gray