Parabuilding & the Hearst Building "Lava Lamp"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 15 19:50:09 UTC 2005

PARABUILDING--449 Google hits
PARABUILDINGS--34 Google hits
I was just looking into "Lava Lamp," the nickname of the new Hearst  Building
at 57th Street and Eighth Avenue. Hearst abandoned his great plans  during
the Depression, but now a "lava lamp" is rising over the 1930s skirt of a
building.
"Parabuilding" came up. This is not in the OED revision and is another
example of why I get paid the big bucks.
OT: ENCYCLOPEDIA OF NEW YORK STATE & ADS MEMBERS--George Thompson's  work on
"baseball" is mentioned in that entry. Allen Walker Read's work on  "O.K." is
mentioned under Martin Van Buren. Neither was credited or paid.
OT: RIGGIES--A Daily News article on Factiva claims that a NYC restaurant
has been serving "riggies" (rigatoni) since it opened in 1992.
_http://www.digitalmediatree.com/tommoody/?23914_
(http://www.digitalmediatree.com/tommoody/?23914)
UPDATE: I want to be as clear as I can about why I find this design
ludicrous. I'm not opposed to "_parabuildings_
(http://www.digitalmediatree.com/schwarz/?23934) "--Herbert Muschamp's intellectually  dishonest term for add-ons
usually motivated by greed or vanity, but sometimes  just to pay the
mortgage--nor am I some Prince Charles purist who hates  Modernist-style architecture. The
Hearst building is like mixing stripes and  plaids though. Not only is the
combination of building styles jarring and ugly,  the Modernist top is a sham.
The "Fuller-esque" structure serves no practical  purpose, it's just
modern-looking cladding over your standard post-and-lintel  box.

- tom moody 11-12-2003 1:09 pm [_link_
(http://www.digitalmediatree.com/tommoody/?23914) ] [_1 comment_
(http://www.digitalmediatree.com/tommoody/comment/23914/) ]

_http://www.digitalmediatree.com/schwarz/?23934_
(http://www.digitalmediatree.com/schwarz/?23934)
"I call this type of design p_arabuildin_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/talkinaboutarchitecture/message/2716) g : it is the modern tick on the  postmodern
host. New York examples include the Palace Hotel, a modern shaft that  towers
above the historic Vuillard Houses on Madison Avenue and 51st Street.
Typically, as at the Palace, the parabuilding is designed as a discreet  background
to the existing host. Not at Soldier Field. Here modernity erupts  with the
jubilance of a prodigal."
New York Times, September, 30 2003  by Herbert Muschamp
"Lord _Foster_ (http://www.fosterandpartners.com/internetsite/) 's design is
a p_arabuildin_ (http://hellskitchen.net/develop/index.html?x=29) g: a new
addition that transforms the  character of an existing structure. The host
building in this case is Hearst's  present home at 959 Eighth Avenue, between 56th
and 57th Streets. The  parabuilding is a faceted tower of steel and glass that
rises 42 stories above  the host. Herein lies a historical curiosity. The
existing building, completed  in 1928, was originally designed as the base of a
taller structure."
New York Times, October 30, 2001 by Herbert Muschamp
"The  p_arabuildin_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/20/arts/20NOTE.html?ex=1069131600&en=231074916dc196b0&ei=5070) g a new addition to an older structure,
continues to entrench itself as a vibrantly contemporary architectural type.
The  Brooklyn Museum of Art has unveiled the genre's most recent example: a
monumental main entrance for the museum's Eastern Parkway facade."
New York Times, September, 20 2000 by Herbert Muschamp
"The  host building for Gwathmey Siegel’s p_arabuildin_
(http://www.arcspace.com/kk_ann/2003_03/) g design for the Mid-Manhattan Library is  the former
Arnold Constable building which is owned by The New York Public  Library. The
expansion will add an additional eight floors and 117,000 square  feet for
library service to the existing 139,000 square foot building. Gwathmey  Siegel &
Associates have also designed the new United States Mission to the  United
Nations;  a concrete tower with a cylindrical core of shingled zinc.  The windows
are narrow slits that become more closely spaced and numerous as the  tower
rises from base to summit and..."
-_arcs_ (http://www.arcspace.com/Welcome.html) pace
"Lord Foster, 65, has ample  experience designing around _historic _
(http://www.wirednewyork.com/real_estate/hearst_magazine_building/default.htm)
buildings. His much-acclaimed addition to the  Reichstag in Berlin, featuring a
latticed glass dome, has become a symbol of the  new unified Germany. For a newly
unveiled renovation of the British Museum, he  designed a glass-covered
courtyard that architecture critic Paul Goldberger,  writing in The New Yorker,
called "stunningly beautiful."
(_discussion_
(http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/printpage.cgi?forum=4&topic=803) )
-wirednewyork
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
_Soldier Field Renovation Brings Out Boo-Birds_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.sports.football.pro.chicago-bears/browse_thread/thread/4a7d51f903bd
a487/6cd0f8e17ed5dbc6?q=parabuildings&rnum=1&hl=en#6cd0f8e17ed5dbc6)
... They are known as parabuildings, and some, like an airy  new entrance for
the Brooklyn Museum of Art, have been favorably received.  ...
_alt.sports.football.pro.chicago-bears_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.sports.football.pro.chicago-bears?hl=en)  - Jun 17  2003, 7:27 am by
Thomas R. Shannon - 1 message - 1 author
_Soldier Field Wins Prestigious Honor_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.sports.football.pro.chicago-bears/browse_thread/thread/14060f6bde7627a2/0829
5a7163929b06?q=parabuilding&rnum=1&hl=en#08295a7163929b06)
... the new stadium's design. I call this type of design  parabuilding: it is
the modern tick on the postmodern host. New York  examples ...
_alt.sports.football.pro.chicago-bears_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.sports.football.pro.chicago-bears?hl=en)  - Jan 27  2004, 10:03 pm by
TwinCityBear - 21 messages - 14 authors
(GOOGLE)

_Wrapping up  New York Trip...._ (http://www.arcspace.com/kk_ann/2003_03/)
The parabuilding, a faceted  tower of steel and glass that rises 42 stories
above the
... The host  building for Gwathmey Siegel’s parabuilding design for the  ...
www.arcspace.com/kk_ann/2003_03/ - 21k - _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:HEOxdSfXfIIJ:www.arcspace.com/kk_ann/2003_03/+parabuilding&hl=en&ie=U
TF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.arcspace.com/kk_ann/2003_03/)
_Schwarz comments_ (http://www.digitalmediatree.com/schwarz/comment/23934/)
... Street.  Typically, as at the Palace, the parabuilding is designed as a
discreet
background to the existing host. Not at Soldier Field. ...
www.digitalmediatree.com/schwarz/comment/23934/ - 11k -  Supplemental Result
- _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:09R3S-iIazwJ:www.digitalmediatree.com/schwarz/comment/23934/+parabuilding&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.digital
mediatree.com/schwarz/comment/23934/)
_Hearst Corporation - The Hearst Tower Project_
(http://www.hearstcorp.com/tower/news/011030.html)
Lord Foster's design is a parabuilding: a new addition that  transforms the
The parabuilding is a faceted tower of steel  and glass that rises 42 stories
www.hearstcorp.com/tower/news/011030.html - 19k - _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:uKnJckEFLdIJ:www.hearstcorp.com/tower/news/011030.html+parab
uilding&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.hearstcorp.com/tower/news/011030.html)
_The New York Times: Premium Archive_
(http://www.artsjournal.com/visualarts/redir/20030929-30346.html)
I  call this type of design parabuilding: it is the modern tick on the
postmodern
... Typically, as at the Palace, the parabuilding is  designed as a discreet
www.artsjournal.com/visualarts/ redir/20030929-30346.html - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.artsjournal.com/v
isualarts/redir/20030929-30346.html)
_Hell's Kitchen: Development Issues: Hearst-Lava Lamp  Tower_
(http://hellskitchen.net/develop/index.html?x=29)
... The skyline has been waiting for  this. Lord Foster's design is a
parabuilding: a
new addition that  transforms the character of an existing structure. ...
hellskitchen.net/develop/index.html?x=29 - 16k - Supplemental  Result -
_Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:kxY63xGT0F8J:hellskitchen.net/develop/index.html?x=29+parabuilding&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:hellskitchen.net/develop/index.ht
ml?x=29)