benny?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Jun 16 04:55:48 UTC 2005

On Jun 15, 2005, at 10:51 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: benny?
> --------
>
> Wilson, was this in common use in the army in the '50s?  Could you
> provide a context or an example of the bennies referred to?
>
> JL

Yes, it was in common use. I knew a guy named Benjamin who refused to
let anyone call him "Benny" because he didn't want to have to deal with
all the bad jokes and puns at his expense.

"Bennies" referred referred both to the basic "three hots and a cot and
you don't have to buy no clothes" and to such things as thirty days per
annum of paid leave ("furlough" wasn't used in my day, for some
reason), T[emporary]D[ut]Y," which earned you extra pay for doing your
normal job at someplace other than your home post, longevity pay (an
automatic rise in base pay for every two years of service), proficiency
pay (you had to pass a test to be awarded the grade of P[roficiency
Level] I, but the upgrade to P II was automatic, though you had to pass
another test to reach P III), hardship pay and combat pay for being
stationed in West Berlin, free medical and dental, free flights to
anyplace in the world on a space-available basis on Air Force transport
planes, and space was always available, the Post Exchange, which sold
Rolexes and Burberry, to mention just a couple of brand names, at
give-away prices, cigarettes by the carton at a price so low as to be
inconsequential, and, if you had the right
M[ilitary]O[ccupation]Specialty, swift promotion.

TDY was a favorite benny because, though you were at temporary location
B, you were still under the command of your home post A. This meant
that, once the workday ended, you could do as you pleased, since post B
had no record of your existence except for your name on the duty roster
and the records at post A merely stated that you were on TDY. So, you
didn't have to be present for reveille or bed check or deal with any
pain-in-the-ass duties such as pulling motor stables or burn-bag
detail. It was like being on a paid vacation without using up any of
your leave time.

And, of course, there was the re-enlistment benny: an extra thirty days
of paid leave and a minimum bonus of $1500. If you were, as I was, a
graduate of the Army Language School, a further benny was that you
could go back to the Language School - in my day, easily the poshest
post in the Army for enlisted personnel - and take any language that
you pleased, even the one in which you already held a diploma. On your
original enlistment, the language that you studied was determined by
your placement on the entrance exam.

-Wilson