Fwd: Message from Big Apple web site visitor

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 16 11:15:35 UTC 2005

A colleague of mine is on her way to Beijing U. to lecture on American culture for a few weeks.
Already one of her hosts has asked about the real origin of "The Big Apple," which seems to be a hot topic in the People's Republic. (One shudders to think why....)

I directed her pronto to Barry's site and advised her to eschew all others.

JL

bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Fwd: Message from Big Apple web site visitor

Amazing.
For the record, I went to the Manhattan Borough President's office (I had done this a mere 13 years ago, under a different borough president; on the BP's web page, you'll find "Manhattan--The Heart of the Big Apple"), told 'em that last year the Big Apple Fest said that the "Big Apple" comes from whores, and demanded that I be treated like a human being after all these years, and that this year's Big Apple Fest get the story straight, and that they'll tell New Yorkers, and that they'll look for living witnesses and honor the black stablehands.
Only in a city like this would I get living witnesses like what I got just now, and NYC will let 'em die, because they're not a "runaway bride" or something like that, and it's not news.
Barry Popik
www.barrypopik.com