"I've served my time in Hell"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Jun 16 22:02:46 UTC 2005

On Jun 16, 2005, at 8:04 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "I've served my time in Hell"
> --------
>
> The Lomax & Lomax text (pp.552-554) came "from C. E. Anson, Wyoming."
> It consists of four stanzas taken from Camp's 1917 text. (Camp is not
> cited as author). The final lines in this case are,
>
> Then St. Peter'll tell the angels
> How we charged and how we fell;
> "Give a front seat to Third Wyoming,
> For they've done their hitch in hell."
>
> According to _History of the Wyoming Army National Guard by CW2 John
> Listman_ [http://www.guardmuster.org/custom/wyoming.asp]
>

>    The First Wyoming experienced a number of reorganizations so that
> by 1915 its lineage was carried by the 1st and 2nd Separate
> Battalions, Wyoming Infantry. Both battalions activated during the
> Mexican border crisis of 1916-17. They served in Deming, New Mexico.
>

>    Upon release from active duty, the two battalions added a third,
> and was [sic: JL]reorganized as the 3rd Wyoming Infantry. Drafted into
> Federal service in August 1917 for World War I duty. The Third Wyoming
> is broken up with elements assigned to three different units within
> the 41st division.
>
> Upon arrival in France, the 41st Division AEF became the "1st Depot
> Division," responsible for the training and processing of
> replacements.
>
> JL

FWIW, the military jargon here, "Separate Battalions" and "Depot
Division," is new to me. Google yields about 4800
hits, not all of them relevant to the military. For "Depot Division,"
there are 941 hits, again, not all of them relevant to the military.
But, even from those few hits, it seems clear that "depot division
(replacement)" is the correct military term for what I knew only as a
"repple-depple."

As far as I can gather, "separate" appears to be a technical term
related to the TO&E (Table of Organization and Equipment) of a unit,
such that units as small as a company can be separate in whatever way
is entailed by the term.

-Wilson Gray