Milkshake

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sat Jun 18 02:18:09 UTC 2005

On Jun 17, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Katy Miller wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Katy Miller <kmiller at BIB-ARCH.ORG>
> Subject:      Milkshake
> --------
>
>> From today's Washington Post
>
> "Yet even after the personnel problems were smoothed out (and long
> before Beyonce released her solo album and was transformed into a
> single-named star with a milkshake to rival Jennifer Lopez and Kelis
> combined), she was the de facto Diana Ross of the group."
>
> Kelis' 2003 song "Milkshake," has the lyrics,
> "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard,
> And their like
> It's better than yours,
> Damn right it's better than yours,
> I can teach you,
> But I have to charge"

"Milkshake" is the long form of the "shake" in the comment, "You want
fries with that shake?" It refers to the way that a girl's buttocks
move beneath her skirt/jeans/shorts. So, a paraphrase is something
like, "The movement of my buttocks beneath my skin-tight, camel-toe
skirt/jeans/booty shorts/etc. as I walk is so erotic that all the boys
follow me to see it."

-Wilson Gray