Bennifer, the sequel

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jun 18 11:49:24 UTC 2005

I heard on an entertainment news show yesterday, 'Tomkat' for Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.

"Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:

> This leads to the question: Was Bennifer the first of these
> pop culture show biz first name combinations? I doubt it, but i can't
> think of any earlier ones offhand.

Desi Arnaz + Lucille Ball = Desilu

It shows up in the newspapers in the early 1950s as a production
company; their house/ranch was named that by 1945 (from ProQuest
ChiTrib).

Then there's Pickfair, Mary Pickford's and Douglas Fairbanks' home, but
I don't know if the word was ever used to refer to the two of them.