The "soul patch"

Douglas Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Jun 19 05:07:51 UTC 2005

> What's bizarre about this tuft of whiskers adorning the underside of
> the lower lip is that there was no word for it, back in the day. None
> was needed, because this tuft was never referred to. Some men,
> including your humble correspondent, from time to time, wore only a
> soul patch on an otherwise clean-shaven face and still no one felt the
> need to give it a name.

I believe the noun "imperial" sometimes refers to such a tuft. Apparently
this was named after Napoleon III, and pictures of him show such a
localized beard.

I THINK I've heard "soul patch" for 20 years or so, but maybe I'm
misremembering again. Quick Google only shows the expression back to 1998
or so.

Some Web sites give another synonym: "Attilio".

-- Doug Wilson