neo-modernism (Islamic 1958, Christian 1964)

Sun Jun 19 07:35:37 UTC 2005

* neo-modernism [OED 1966, religious sense 1973]

1958 F. RAHMAN in _Bull. School of Oriental & Afr. Studies_ 21 I/III 98
The most striking illustration of this attitude which may be called
neo-Modernism is afforded by a man of no less a status than Chaudhri
Muhammad Ali, the former Prime Minister of Pakistan.

_Ibid._ 99 Indeed, the term neo-Modernism employed above describes not an
intellectual movement but the new attitude, or rather, the new attitude
plus the intellectual void existing at present. ... But Modernism -- the
attempt at meaninfully integrating Westernism with Islam -- has been
explicitly jettisoned in favour of an 'Islamic' neo-Modernism of the
future of whose genesis there is as yet no trace to be seen.

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0041-977X%281958%2921%3A1%2F3%3C82%3AMMITIS%3E2.0.CO%3B2-O

1964 _Theology Today_ 21 (Apr.) 114 His [sc. Dr. Gerhard Ebeling's]
historical investigations and his neomodernism together produce a tone
which is fresh if not altogether new. He insists (we think rightly) that
there is a new dimension to atheism and secularism in our day. He also
insists that "the critical historical method" of understanding
Christianity requires a new approach to Christian doctrine.

http://theologytoday.ptsem.edu/search/display-page.asp?Path=/apr1964/v21-1-bookreview1.htm

--Ben Zimmer