Hell, Heaven or Hoboken (1918); Cloud Around the Moon; No Pork on My Fork

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 22 12:42:34 UTC 2005

Whoever first said it, "Heaven..." was indeed a familiar quotation in 1918-19.  While researching AEF slang many years ago, I came across it frequently.

JL

bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Hell, Heaven or Hoboken (1918); Cloud Around the Moon; No Pork on
My Fork

HELL, HEAVEN OR HOBOKEN (BY CHRISTMAS)
I spent part of that day in Hoboken, now celebrating 150 years as an incorpo=
rated town (since 1855). This saying was featured in the Historical Museum,=20=
just off the ferry terminal.
I don't know what Fred has. The American Heritage Dictionary of Quotations h=
as "ANONYMOUS, 1917." It's said to be from General Pershing in 1918. =20
...=20
http://dagleydagley.blogspot.com/2003_03_09_dagleydagley_archive.html
Heaven, Hell, or Hoboken: Last in a Series

There was a catch to General John Pershing's promise of "Heaven, Hell, or Ho=
boken:" many of those who got the first two options still had to pass throug=
h Hoboken on their way home to their final resting places, since Hoboken's c=
ombined rail, train, and subway terminal was (and still is) the main hub con=
necting the New York metro area with the rest of the United States. The ferr=
y terminal section has been unused for more than 25 years, but a restoration=
project is about to begin. The train station has already been restored (tha=
nk you, Sen. Frank Lautenberg). Here's an old postcard showing the terminal.=
=20
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
The Star And SentinelSaturday, August 24, 1918 Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
...in writing in Berlin, HEAVEN, or HOBOKEN before 'tries I have been in....=
.drawing us back' from the brink of HELL to the threshold of HEAVEN." This..

... =20
The CapitalFriday, September 27, 1918 Annapolis, Maryland
...rcriamb a easy way to buy a HEAVEN, HOBOKEN, Or Home, By LIFE I M< TIIK K=
tlK.....dpllberatc hAND of those dirtv HELL- would be left without a friend=20=
AND..

The Mansfield NewsSaturday, August 17, 1918 Mansfield, Ohio
...an in- until the PERISHING "HEAVEN, HELL or HOBOKEN by, Boys Write. On Jo=
hn.....given a new slogan for his troops. "HEAVEN, lisll or Hobokeu by he te=
lls 'em..
The Syracuse HeraldWednesday, September 18, 1918 Syracuse, New York
...fighting mad. Has Seen Hard HEAVEN. HELL or HOBOKEN by Xovem- has been...=
..ber. He declares that it will be HELL or by that time. Donaldson was a..
Oxnard CourierSaturday, December 28, 1918 Oxnard, California
...ll ring off. hop- uould will be HELL, HEAVEN or Hobo- ing to be home with=
you.....soon ken by AND it is HOBOKEN j to all. Your loving son. BILL..

The Daily ReviewWednesday, August 28, 1918 Decatur, Illinois
...in France. "it is either HEAVEN, HELL or HOBOKEN by according to Pershlng=
.....saying that It Is either 'HEAVEN, HELL or HOBOKEN' by Christmas, so I..

The Fort Wayne News And SentinelThursday, November 14, 1918 Fort Wayne, Ind=
iana
...they wanted to eat. say over 'HELL. HEAVEN or N. by but I hope it is HOBO=
KEN.....had a lovely trip through Eng- lAND AND the north AND central part o=
f AND..

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)

YANKS PLAY AT WAR LIKE BOYS ON VACANT LOTS; Boche Shells and Flying Bullets=20=
Only Difference on West Front.=20
FREDERICK A SMITH. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Aug 19,=
1918. p. 3 (1 page) :
The American boys and officials are elated over their first scrap last week.=
The result has made them all the more confident, and the slogan often heard=
now is, "To hell, heaven, or Hoboken by December." The war correspondent's=20=
version is "To hell, heaven, or deleted by censor by December."
TELLS OF HUN RETREAT; Corpl. Dunlop, of This City, Says Move Came as Surpris=
e. TIDE TURNED BY AMERICANS Pershing's Troops Cooperating With French Forced=
Germans Back and Began Own Offensive -- Saw Comrade Buried Alive by Shell.=20=
Saved by Infantrymen.=20
The Washington Post (1877. Sep 1, 1918. p. ED7 (1 page) :
"Our slogan now is 'Heaven, Hell or Hoboken by Christmas.'"
FATTEN YULETIDE TURK, HE WROTE; NOW IS WOUNDED; Official Casualty List Carri=
es Thirty-seven Chicago Fighters.=20
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Sep 4, 1918. p. 4 (1 page)=
:
"Pershing said we would be in hell, heaven or Hoboken by Christmas, so you m=
ight as well order the turkey now and have Aunt Jennie roast it," wrote Corp=
oral Adolph S. Busk, Company D, One Hundred and Thirty-first infantry, forme=
rly the First infantry, Illinois national guard, in a letter dated Aug. 4.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
------------------------
CLOUD AROUND THE MOON
"Cloud Around the Moon" was in the Hoboken Cottage restaurant. Is this a New=
York City dish?
(GOOGLE)
Hoboken Delivery
Cloud Around the Moon ... $ 11.25. Crabmeat, scallops & fish filet with ...
Chinese Spicy mustard green onion, green red pepper in black bean sauce. ...
www.hobokendelivery.com/restaurant.asp?restaurant_id# - 125k - Cached - Simi=
lar pages=20
HOBOKEN COTTAGE
... Steak 12.95 Tender steak served on sizzing plate topped w Chinese veg in=
... Cloud Around
the Moon 11.25 Crabmeat, scallops & fish filet with broccoli, snow peas & ..=
.=20
www.hobokenx.com/detail/1.htm - 27k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar=
pages=20
[DOC] CHINESE MENU ITEMS
File Format: Microsoft Word 2000 - View as HTML
CHINESE MENU ITEMS. FISH WITH FIVE FLAVORS. BUDDHA=92S SMILE. GRASP AT GOOD=20=
LUCK
... CLOUD AROUND THE MOON. THREE=92S COMPANY. KING DO GAI. LING MONG CHICKEN=
www.columbia.edu/cu/psychology/ courses/2630/September23.doc - Similar pages=
=20
...=20
| Midtown | Chinese | Vega House restaurant guide for new york ...
L8 Mixed Chinese Vegetable, $5.50. L9 * Double Sauteed Sliced Pork, $5.50 ..=
.
S9 Cloud Around the Moon - scallops & jumbo shrimp w/ broccoli, ...
www.gotham2go.com/index.php/18/1/193 - 37k - Cached - Similar pages=20
...=20
| Theater District | Chinese | Cottage Noodle Shop restaurant ...
27, * Cold Spicy Chinese Cabbage, $3.50. 28, Cold Garlic Seaweed, $3.50 ...=20=
S6,
Cloud Around the Moon - king crab meat, scallops, & fish filet w/ broccoli,=20=
www.gotham2go.com/index.php/54/1/361 - 39k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.gotham2go.com ]=20
Midtown | Chinese | Vega House restaurant guide for new york ...
... S9 Cloud Around the Moon - scallops & jumbo shrimp w/ broccoli, snow pea=
s & string
beans, $8.95. Evergreen Classics. ... 80 * Chinese Eggplant in Garlic Sauce,=
$5.95 ...=20
gothammenus.com/index.php/18/1/193 - 37k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Si=
milar pages=20
| Theater District | Chinese | Cottage Noodle Shop restaurant ...
... 146, Chinese Sausage Fried Rice, $5.75. ... S6, Cloud Around the Moon -=20=
king crab meat,
scallops, & fish filet w/ broccoli, snow peas & string beans, $9.50. ...=20
gothammenus.com/index.php/54/1/361 - 39k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Si=
milar pages=20
West Side Chef 315 West 57th St., New York, NY 10019
Jade Pot - Bean curds, Chinese cabbage, tomato, broccoli, baby corns, snow p=
eas,
... Cloud Around The Moon (Health Diet Menu) - Calamari, scallops, ...
www.delivery.com/merchant_listing/ NY/new_york/west_midtown/restaurants/chin=
ese/?rid&63 - 72k - Cached - Similar pages=20
(FACTIVA)
GO!=20
GRAZING=20
REPORT ON CHINESE FOOD A BIT OVERDONE RESTAURANTS OFFER CHOICES THAT TRIM FA=
T=20
Ann Heller Restaurant Critic=20
512 words=20
Dayton Daily News=20
CITY=20
29=20
English
(Copyright 1997)=20

Chinese restaurant food keeps getting a bad rap from the fat police. A few y=
ears ago, the Center for Science in the Public Interest issued its alarms. T=
his month, Consumer Reports jumped in with an indictment of traditional Chin=
ese fare.=20
The magazine is generally above reproach, but it seems it did stack the deck=
this time. It chose to analyze such dishes as egg rolls, crispy noodles and=
orange beef, as well as sweet and sour pork. These are popular dishes, but=20=
obviously they are all fried. Telling me that they are loaded with fat is li=
ke telling me that cheesecake is full of fat. It's no surprise.=20
And the magazine also took issue with the size of the portions in Chinese re=
staurants, saying that `the average serving of sweet and sour pork would act=
ually make 4 1/2 sensible servings.' That's debatable. No matter what the nu=
tritionists say, I doubt most people would like to share a single entree wit=
h their spouse and two teen-age kids.=20
The magazine ignored the reality that many diners walk out of a Chinese rest=
aurant with doggy bags. They don't eat the whole thing.=20
And the magazine glossed over the fact that many Chinese restaurants now hav=
e a `diet' section that offers foods prepared without added fat.=20
Locally, Hunan Gourmet has what the owners call a `Weight Watchers' section=20=
on the menu, and the dishes are the best of the so-called diet Chinese dishe=
s I've tasted.=20
The chicken, the seafood and the vegetables are all steamed, and the five so=
y-based sauces offered are all made without fat.=20
Skepticism is met head-on at the table. The dinners are served prettily arra=
nged in bamboo steamers. The garlic sauce, slightly spicy and flavorful, is=20=
served on the side. The portions are generous and the ever-present side of r=
ice makes it a filling meal.=20
And they are modestly priced, all less than $10. The most expensive ($9.25)=20=
is the mixture of seafood called Cloud Around the Moon, with nicely cooked s=
hrimp, scallops and crab. Another combines chicken with seafood for $8.50. C=
olorful steamed vegetables with crisp green beans and snow peas is an even l=
ighter option and is an entree portion for $6.50.=20
=20
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
------------------------
NO PORK ON MY FORK
>From Factiva.
HOUSTON=20
Ken Hoffman=20
New York City will never forget=20
KEN HOFFMAN=20
Staff=20
817 words=20
Houston Chronicle=20
2 STAR=20
1=20
English
(Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle)=20
=20
In Harlem, I stopped by a restaurant called No Pork On My Fork. I thought, s=
uch a funny name, and what an unusual place for a kosher restaurant. I asked=
the owner behind the counter, "What made you put a Jewish restaurant here?"=
=20
I mean, from the name, I just assumed . . . He said, "Not Jewish . . . we're=
Muslim. We don't eat pork, either."=20
Escape - NEW YORK - New boy in the 'hood - Bill Clinton opened his new offic=
e in Harlem last week. ...=20
By Esther Selsdon.=20
1,176 words=20
The Observer
10=20
English
(c) 2001
NO PORK ON MY FORK
Adam Clayton Av at African Square=20
Self-explanatory Nation of Islam restaurant for Louis Farrakhan supporters o=
nly.=20
CLINTON RATING: e (maybe)=20
Didn't dare go in and ask.=20
A Jungle Where The Canny Survive=20
930 words=20
Canberra Times=20
5=20
English
...=20
Saturday Review - Harlem-the new theme park.=20
By Gary Younge.=20
2,959 words=20
The Guardian
1=20
English
As more corporate fast-food outlets open, small businesses whose names are a=
taste of Harlem life 'No Pork on my fork' and 'Nuff Niceness' will be threa=
tened. Rents are rising; many businesses are moving to the Bronx and Queens.=
Barbara Ann Teer says, 'They are bringing in the corporations and they are=20=
employing the workers.=20