"This may pinch a little"

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Jun 22 16:53:47 UTC 2005

Yes, I think what the nurse, doctor, etc. means by "pinch" is "to
cause a minor sharp pain," regardless of whether this is done by
squeezing, inserting a needle, or whatever.  This meaning does
represent a shift from the original one, but to me, it is neither a
surprising nor a nonsensical one -- in fact, it's been in my
vocabulary for a long time, and I'm surprised not to see it reflected
in my Collegiate!

Joanne Despres
Merriam-Webster