"Birth of a Nation" and "History written with lightning," again

taylor-blake@nc.rr.com taylor-blake at NC.RR.COM
Thu Jun 23 13:02:28 UTC 2005

(Blush, thanks, Barry and Fred for the support [and thanks, too, to Sam
Clements, for a kind note sent off-list], blush.)

I have to admit, though, to a less-than-brilliant moment:  earlier, I had
somehow failed to find the following in my search for "history written with
lighting."

Note the appearance of "teaching history by lightning" a little more than
three months after that private screening in Washington.

-- Bonnie

[From Kitty Kelly's "Flickerings from Film Land," *The Chicago Daily
Tribune*; 26 May 1915; Pg. 14.]

[D.W. Griffith was apparently the guest contributor for Kelly's 26 May
column.  His piece was titled, "The Motion Picture and Witch Burners."]

The greatest field which the motion picture has is the treating of historic
subjects; as a great man has said of a certain motion picture, "It is like
teaching history by lightning."