Hell, Heaven or Hoboken (1918)... ; galiant effort; and others

Thu Jun 23 22:31:28 UTC 2005

In today's ADS-L digest, 21 Jun 2005 to 22 Jun 2005 (#2005-174)...

Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

Whoever first said it, "Heaven..." was indeed a familiar quotation in
1918-19.  While researching AEF slang many years ago, I came across it
frequently.

JL

<<<
followed by a full quote of Barry's post, 840 lines on my screen.

And Matthew Gordon <gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU> wrote:

Most of these examples indicate a variant pronunciation of 'gallant'. What
        [12 more lines of interesting contribution

<<<
followed by a 200-line quote of Paul Frank's post.

Some days the digest brings quotes nested six and seven levels deep, with
lines beginning like this:

Yesterday was pretty mild in that respect, but we did have a section like
this:

> >>photo caption refers to them as "Brangelina".

-- which is a different problem entirely from the whole long section like
this:

use in the army in the
    </pre>
  </pre>

Hey, folks, if it's already been said, do we need to say it five times more?
(Rhetorical question. Answer in deeds, not words, if you please. Definitely
not in more words.)

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text wearily prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]