"Tom Brown" as an 1896 baseball term

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 23 23:38:25 UTC 2005

Certainly not news to Paul Dickson, but Tom Brown was a 36-year-old outfielder with the Washington Senators in 1896, according to

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/stats/alltime/rosters/senators/1896.html.

JL

"Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard"
Subject: "Tom Brown" as an 1896 baseball term

The request below comes from the assistant to Paul Dickson (author of the standard dictionary on baseball terminology). In another email Skip McAfee guesses that "Tom Brown" likely arose from an incident (involving a player by that name) which occurred shortly before the attestation in the Boston Globe--a suspicion I agree with.

Still, with his permission I'm running this by ads-l to see if anyone here sees something that we might be missing.

Gerald Cohen