Old pronuciation of "Los Angeles"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jun 25 15:17:39 UTC 2005

The 1935 film _Bordertown_ (with Paul Muni and Betet Davis - fine period performances) is partially set in L.A.  My attention was caught by the fact that a snooty villain pronounced it with a  / g /  rather than the now universal / J /  (if I may use that ad-hoc symbol).

The quasi-Spanish origin of the pronunciation isn't the question. (The actor was clearly using an English pronunciation and not trying consciously to imitate Spanish.)

To me it sounded bizarre, but I'm pretty sure I've heard it in other old movies. The question is how widespread was this, and when did it go away ?

JL