Jumper cables

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Jun 26 21:29:51 UTC 2005

On Jun 26, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Jumper cables
> --------
>
> "Get-Back" here signifieth what?
>
> JL

An object - solid, liquid, or gas - whose stench is so disgusting that
it induces in one a strong desire to "get back" far enough from it that
the odor is no longer perceptible.

You know, this kind of construction must be really peculiar to BE.
When, as a teen-ager, I first heard this, I immediately understood it
and I thought that it was one of the funniest expressions that I had
ever heard. In fact, it still makes me laugh, even though it was more
than fifty years ago that I first heard it. Yet, I've found few, if
any, white people who've responded with anything except a version of
"Say/Do what?"

Kummoan nigh! Don' nunna yawl undastan Merkan, I reckon. Muss not kin.

-Wilson