wush (was Re: "Sock It to Me")

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Jun 28 15:26:24 UTC 2005

First, these are not eye-dialect examples in the strict sense; they
are respellings which try to represent an actual pronunciation
difference (not such eye-dialect only stuff as "sez" and "wuz"

The vowel we are after here is perhaps closer to "push" than "lush,"
but it is a central vowel, at IPA barred i.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor