Ironically

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jun 29 21:30:10 UTC 2005

Current usages of the word ironic almost seem to be oxymoronic with the
emphasis on the moronic to this hardly neutral observer.

Page Stephens

"I will not have a dictionary in this house which defines imply as a
synonym for infer." Nero Wolfe

-----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Ironically

---

> It's hard to tell from the brief quotes, but many of the OED exx. Larry
lists seem to exemplify "paradoxically."  To my mind, paradox is rather
close to various forms of classical irony.  The examples that really
impress me are those, as in my previous post, that seem to have no
detectable relationship to "irony" of any kind.

> I suppose the fuzzy borderline betwen senses may be in the realm of
"coincidentally." But would the exx. of "seismic"  imaging and of the
painter who grew up in a city that later figured tangentially in one of his
paintings have seemed be of any interest whatsoever if the respective
comments had begun, "Coincidentally..." ?

> My stupid guess is that people who use this kind of "ironically" don't
understand much about "irony" and have simply absorbed the mannerism from
liberal arts professors who sort of do. (Who but liberal arts profs are
likely to point out many ironies in the first place?)  For users naive in
the ways of literature, philosophy, and history,  "ironically" is good
connector whose magic makes any sentence sound more impressive.

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Horn
> Subject: Re: Ironically

---