Who'd a thunk it?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Jun 30 06:22:06 UTC 2005

On Jun 29, 2005, at 9:32 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Who'd a thunk it?
> --------
>
> At 6:24 PM -0400 6/29/05, Page Stephens wrote:
>> Hopefully supposedly (supposably) isn't looked down on as much as
>> hopefully
>> is although supposedly I would guess it is.
>>
>> Page Stephens
>
> "supposably" is at least as looked down on as "hopefully", although I
> didn't count to see how many of the 14,300 google hits were devoted
> to bemoaning the use of "supposably" by others.  Presumably even some
> of those who grudgingly accept the latter because it is, after all,
> the only adverb meaning what it does (given that "it is to be hoped"
> doesn't count as an adverb), while "supposably" doesn't bring a lot
> more to the table than "supposedly" is already sitting there with.
>
> Larry

FWIW, I think that "supposably" sounds "ignunt." But I've been in love
with "hopefully" from the day that we met. I've never understood why
some people wish to argue against its use. In fact, I've never even
understood the points of those arguments. Different strokes for
different folks, to coin a phrase.

-Wilson