ice box (was: obsolescene [was church key])

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Tue Mar 1 16:29:48 UTC 2005

>But in the case of most of those brand names that become generics
>(paronomasia, I think it's called), it's more the successful
>marketing of the product itself that does it than the brand name,
>however clever it may have been.  If Scotties had outpaced Kleenex,
>or Pepsi Coke, we'd be calling tissues scotties and soft drinks pepsi
>(in some places), I dare say.  Or "curad" as opposed to "band-aid".
 >
>Larry
~~~~~~~~~~
I take your point.  It might be interesting to compare the advertising
budgets of these competing products.  I do think /kleenex/ has an intrinsic
advantage over /scotties/ or /puffs/, in that it only meant one thing, and
its sheer ugliness to eye & ear make it memorable.
I can easily imagine (without prejudice, since I've always loathed both)
/pepsi/ beating out /coke/ if they'd come on the market at the same time.
/Curad/ might have won, with a head start, but /bandaid/ is such a beaut,
that looks doubtful to me.
AM